For all recyclables. This is collected fortnightly.
We can only empty your grey bin if it contains loose recyclable items only so no bags please. This means:
- No plastic carrier bags inside your bin
- No side waste in plastic bags
We need to reduce contamination including food, carrier bags, nappies, polysterene and black bin bags. The crews need to see what is in your bin so no more plastic carrier bags are allowed.
If you collect your rubbish in a plastic bag in the kitchen, then continue to do so but instead of throwing it in the bin when it is full, simply empty it into the bin and start again.
We can no longer collect side waste in carrier bags so please squash items to make 50% more room in your bin. If you leave extra recyclable bags beside your bin on collection day, they wont be collected.
You can order an additional grey recycling bin free of charge
What you can put in your grey bin
Cans, glass, plastic, paper-based cartons, paper and cardboard, margarine/butter tubs, yoghurt pots, clear plastic food trays, takeaway trays, most plastic packaging.
Before you put anything in your grey bin
- Rinse out all recyclable items; food leftovers cause hygiene problems and can mean otherwise good recyclables have to be landfilled.
- Remove all lids and tops from bottles and jars and put them in your burgundy bins. We cannot recycle these.
- Remove any labels from bottles and cans if possible and rinse them out