Events: registration and guidance

Service information

If you are planning an event in Blackburn with Darwen then please tell us about it so that we can provide guidance where necessary and promote your event on our website.  Please use our online form to register your event and we’ll get in touch with you.

Organisers of smaller events with no impact on traffic or safety of the public need not submit a registration form but may find the guidance in this document helpful.

When you register your event it will be sent to the Event Safety Advisory Group for their consideration and depending on the scale of the event will provide advice and guidance where necessary.

The following documents and links will help you to organise a safe event for the borough:

Event safety advisory group (ESAG)

Blackburn with Darwen Borough Council and the multi-agency ESAG seek to promote events in the borough that enhance the quality of life of its residents and attracts visitors and tourism to the area in which you live. In doing so the Council recognises that it has a part to play so far as it can in ensuring events are safe, considerate and successful whilst promoting the key objectives of the Licensing Act 2003.

The ESAG is not an approval process.  The event registration process is to ensure that all agencies are aware of an event and can assess any issues regarding the event and to ensure as far as possible that the key objectives of all relevant statutory requirements are met.

Members include Blackburn with Darwen Borough Council, Police, Ambulance, Fire Authorities and Traffic management.

The ESAG can be contacted via email.

Temporary event notice

If you wish to hold an ad-hoc event in England or Wales, you must give a temporary event notice (TEN) to your local licensing authority no later than ten clear working days before the event. It should be noted that the day of the event and the day the application is handed in to the local authority are not included in the ten working days notice.  If the premises where the event is to be held is in areas governed by two or more local authorities applications must be made to each.

You must also give a copy of the notice to the police no later than ten working days before the event. Again, this is ten clear working days.

You must be 18 years or older to give a TEN and can give a maximum of five TENs per year. If you are a personal licence holder, you can give a maximum of 50 TENs per year.

Your event must involve no more than 499 people (including those persons running the event) at any one time and last no more than 96 hours with a minimum of 24 hours between events.

Eligibility criteria

An activity that can be licensed must be carried out as detailed in a notice that must be given.

The notice must be in a specific format and must be made by someone over 18 years of age.

The notice should contain:

  • if alcohol is to be supplied, a statement confirming that it is a condition of using the premises that the supplies are made under the premises user's authority;
  • a statement relating to certain matters;
  • any other required information.

The matters referred to above are:

  • details of the licensable activities;
  • the event period;
  • the times when during that period the activities will take place;
  • the maximum number of people proposed to be allowed on the premises;
  • any other required matters.

Use of town centre for religious purposes

The Events safety advisory group (ESAG) has agreed that in order to provide equality of opportunity for all faith groups, permission to hold a stall on Council owned land in the town centre for religious purposes will only be granted on a quarterly basis.  If any literature is to be handed out on the day, this must be forwarded to the Council for circulation to the ESAG at least three weeks prior to the event. Any holy/sacred scripture which is to be distributed is advised to be handed out in such a way that people are aware of what they are receiving. The handing out of holy/sacred scripture within a pack should be discouraged. Organisers will be responsible for all information leaflets handed out and must leave the area around the stall as they find it.

Policing of events: traffic management

Lancashire Constabulary’s role in working with communities and supporting engagement activity is a key priority for them and they continue to support public events and work with organisers to ensure that public safety is considered from the very start of the planning phase. Lancashire Constabulary have adopted the Association of Chief Police Officers’ national guidance which means that the police do not undertake any traffic management event on the highway other than those events which are deemed to be of national importance.

Police guidance to event organisers

Whilst the police retain discretion to attend and take action at public events in order to discharge core duties, the ownership for stewarding and marshalling remains with the event organiser. As a result, it is the event organiser’s responsibility to liaise with the local authority about how the event will be managed and to ensure robust traffic management plans are in place with a suitable number of marshals to enforce it.

If your event requires a road closure, you must contact the Traffic Team on 01254 273515 as early as possible as applications can take up to 12 weeks to process.

Contact details

Mail Event safety advisory group (ESAG)
Phone Number(s)  
Fax Number(s)  
Extra Information
We use cookies, just to track visits to our website, we store no personal details. Show ACCEPT COOKIES / DECLINE COOKIES option