Food safety

Service information

Registering a food business

Food businesses within Blackburn with Darwen must register with the Council. Please contact us to register.

We carry out routine inspections to ensure that standards of food hygiene are maintained.

We also check that food labelling laws are complied with.

Please see the Food Standards Agency website for food law regulations including catering from home.


Food complaints

From time to time we may purchase food which may seem to be unacceptable; perhaps you have eaten in a restaurant or purchased something from a shop and found an object in it or on it that should not be there; for example the food is mouldy or maybe it has a piece of glass in it.

Discovering a foreign object in food is not a pleasant experience but fortunately not all pose a serious risk to health. Many incidences are purely isolated and accidental, and in these cases the companies responsible are often only too pleased to help.

On a more serious note and for complaints that are thought to pose a serious risk to health and environmental health officer from the food safety team is willing to investigate the complaint on your behalf. This could possibly lead to a prosecution of the offender if enough evidence exists to establish that an offence has been committed.

Complaints we can deal with

  • Food that has been sold to you that is either decomposing or mouldy;
  • Food that contains a material that should not be there (otherwise known as foreign material or body) i.e. insects, glass etc.
  • Food that is thought to have caused vomiting or diarrhoea.

Compliants we can't deal with

  • If you are seeking compensation or refund, then the Council will not investigate the complaint. The complainant in this case will be advised to instruct solicitors to act on behalf of them, or directly contact the vendor or manufacturer.
  • If you feel that your food has been adulterated in any way or there is an issue of quality with the food, then please contact our trading standards team

Register a complaint

Please contact us to register a complaint.

Please note:

  • if the complaint is found over the weekend it is important you handle the food as little as possible, keep the packaging and receipt if possible and notify the appropriate environmental health service as soon as possible on a working day
  • if the food is highly perishable then this should either be refrigerated or frozen. It is very important to try and prevent, for example, any further mould growth or decomposing of food
  • if there is a foreign body in the food i.e. glass/metal again it is important that the foreign matter is not removed from the food and is handled as little as possible.

Information required

In order for us to pursue an investigation we will need the following information:

  • Complainant details - name, address, telephone number. We will also establish if there is a connection between the complainant and the vendor/or manufacturer and whether the complainant is willing to give a statement. 
  • Purchaser details - if different from the above 
  • Complaint details - reason for the complaint, product details, brand, date and time of purchase etc. 
  • Storage conditions at the time of sale, whilst taken home, in the complainants home 
  • Vendor details - name and address 
  • Additional information - symptoms if ill, time between ingestion and onset, details of handling after problem was discovered etc.

Investigation length

Complaints whether formal or informal can take a considerable amount of time as other local authorities, vendors, importers, laboratories, manufacturers and legal departments may need to be contacted so that we can pursue our investigation. At any time during the investigation we may need to contact you to gain further information.

You can also contact the investigating officer who will give you an up to date account of the investigation.

If the food business can show that it has taken all reasonable precautions to ensure food safety, then this will be held as a legal defence in court, even if it is felt that the food was unsatisfactory when you purchased it.

Actions following investigation

Whilst pursuing an investigation the officer may deem it necessary to pass the complaint to another investigating authority i.e. Trading standards. Alternatively the complaint may be closed due to lack of evidence, due to the fact that there may be nothing legally wrong with the food, or that there is a legal defence available to the food business.

Once the investigation has been completed the officer will then decide on the necessary action to take, this may be informal or formal;

  • Informal - advise given to the manufacturer, vendor or a warning. In cases where the decision is made by the officer to be informal, your details will only be disclosed with your permission.
  • Formal - If the decision is formal then you may be asked to provide a witness statement and you may be required to attend as a witness in court. In a formal case it is usual for your name to be disclosed to the manufacturer or vendor.

Contact details

Mail Public Protection Service, Public Protection, White Dove Offices, Davyfield Road, Blackburn. BB1 2LX
Phone Number(s) Consumer Advice 0345 040506 / Consumer Protection 01254 267677/ Business Compliance 267688 / Environmental Protection 267699
Fax Number(s) 01254 267672
Extra Information
We use cookies, just to track visits to our website, we store no personal details. Show ACCEPT COOKIES / DECLINE COOKIES option