Housing benefit overpayments

Overpayments and recovery

An overpayment is an amount of benefit paid to which you were not entitled. There are ways in which your claim can be overpaid such as:

  • Not telling us about changes to your circumstances immediately
  • Fraudulent claims

Housing Benefit/Local Housing Allowance Overpayments can be recovered directly from the Landlord (if payments were made to the Landlord in the first instance), from your ongoing benefit award, or from you direct via invoice.

How to pay

If you wish to make a payment or make an arrangement to repay your housing benefit overpayment please ring 01254 585337 and speak to an advisor.  Some options available to repay are as follows:

Direct debit

We recommend you pay your overpayment by direct debit because it is the easiest way. It is also the only payment method that gives you a choice of payment dates - choose to pay on the 1st or 15th of the month.

How to set up a direct debit

The quickest way to set up a direct debit is to call us on 01254 585337.

Standing order

A Standing Order can be set up on any date, either for weekly or monthly payments. We would advise you to call 01254 585337 to make an arrangement and we can give you the information you need in order to set this up.

Online payments by credit or debit card

You can pay online now using our secure site by credit or debit card 24 hours a day 7 days a week. You will need to use your invoice number in the reference number field where requested.

By phone

Please have your Housing Benefit account reference and invoice number to hand when you ring up to pay by phone.

You can make a credit or debit card payment through our automated payment service by phoning 01254 588130 (option 3).You will need to use your invoice number in the reference number field.

This service does not issue a payment receipt but does quote a payment reference number, which we would advise you to make a note of so it might be handy for you to have a pen and paper available when you call, as well as your housing benefit account reference number.

At Pay Point outlets

You can pay your housing benefit by cash only at any outlet displaying the Pay Point logo. To make a payment you will need your housing benefit overpayment invoice or other document displaying with a barcode.

You can find your nearest Pay Point outlet via the Pay Point outlet locator.

At the post office

You can pay at any post office by cash, cheque or debit card if you have a housing benefit overpayment invoice or other document with a printed barcode which is unique to you.

Internet/telephone banking

When paying by this method please quote the sort code 16-13-26, the council's bank account number 10048009 and your Housing benefit account reference number (as shown on your housing benefit overpayment invoice). You will need to use your invoice number in the reference number field where requested.

By post

Cheques should be made payable to Blackburn with Darwen Borough Council and sent to Town Hall, Blackburn, BB1 7DY. Please write your Housing Benefit account reference number and invoice number on the back of the cheque and remember to include your payment slip. Receipts are not automatically issued so be sure to send a stamped address envelope if you want one.

Do not send cash through the post.

Please allow 10 working days for bank processing or postal delivery. Failure to do so could result in you loosing the right to pay by instalments and additional costs being incurred.​​​​​​​​

We use cookies, just to track visits to our website, we store no personal details. Show ACCEPT COOKIES / DECLINE COOKIES option