Homelessness advice and support

Service information

Riverside Heights (Shorey Bank, Darwen)

Riverside Heights housing with care scheme is for local people aged 50 years and over with an assessed need for care and/or support. The scheme will be run by Together Housing and is expected to be opening in spring 2018.

Find out more.

You are homeless if:

  • you do not have anywhere to live;
  • you are at risk of violence if you try to live in your home or
  • you have a home but cannot live in it e.g. you have been evicted or forced to leave.;

A person is threatened with homelessness if they are likely to become homeless with 28 days.

The Council offers both advice and support to prevent homelessness wherever possible through the following actions

  • Liaising with landlords to ensure access is maintained and at least the minimum condition/ standards are met
  • Liaising with the police to ensure tenants safety is ensured;
  • Assisting with debt counselling and budgeting skills;
  • Liaising with mortgage companies, banks, housing benefit section and the benefits agency in order to optimise income;
  • Assisting with disputes and mediation to ensure safe occupation;
  • Completing benefit forms including assistance with requests for overlaps/discretionary benefit etc.
  • Liaise with social services including attendance at case conferences;
  • Resettlement activities ensuring that appropriate application forms are completed, assisting with the bidding process of the b-with-us choice based lettings scheme, liaising and mediating with landlords;
  • Giving general support and counselling.

If you feel that you are homeless or threatened with homelessness, please contact us to make an appointment to see a housing needs officer.

Homeless appointments can only be made on a daily basis; however if you are working or if a support worker is coming with you then the appointment can be booked in advance.

The housing needs officer will interview you and dependent upon your circumstances, will either offer you advice and assistance or take a homeless application from you.

Remember: if you think you are in danger of losing your home, you should seek advice immediately. Early action can prevent your becoming homeless.

Contact details

Mail Housing Needs Section, Town Hall, King William Street, Blackburn. BB1 7DY
Phone Number(s) 01254 585444
Fax Number(s)  
E-mail housingneeds@blackburn.gov.uk
Extra Information
We use cookies, just to track visits to our website, we store no personal details. Show ACCEPT COOKIES / DECLINE COOKIES option