Housing benefit and Council tax support eligibility

From the 14th February 2018 Blackburn with Darwen will become a Full Service Universal Credit area.  This means that the way you apply for help towards your rent has changed.

From that date you are only eligible to make a new claim for housing benefit if you answer "yes" to one of the following:

  • Does your postcode start with BL7?
  • Are you or your partner of pension age?
  • Do you currently have 3 or more dependent children?
  • Are you currently living in one of the following types of accommodation?
    • Accommodation that provides you with care support and supervision as part of your tenancy agreement such as a registered charity, not for profit organisation, Housing Association or County Council property.
    • Supported accommodation.
    • Domestic violence refuge.

If you answer "yes" to any of the above questions you should complete the housing benefit and Council Tax support form.

If you answer "no" to the above questions you must apply for help towards your housing costs from Universal Credit.  Claims must be made on line at www.gov.uk/apply-universal-credit

Council Tax support is a local scheme designed to help people on a low income pay their council tax, and must still be claimed from the local authority. 

We use cookies, just to track visits to our website, we store no personal details. Show ACCEPT COOKIES / DECLINE COOKIES option