Major repair work or structural alterations definition

Information for landlords and managing agents

Major repair work

A reduced Council Tax can be paid where a property cannot be lived in because it has fallen into severe disrepair. This is not intended to cover situations where a property has outdated features, fittings and fixtures.

Replacement, refurbishment or modernisation of, for example, kitchen, bathrooms, toilets, installation of replacement windows, central heating, rewiring, re-plastering, would not lead to a reduction because these are not major repairs.

Minor repairs will not qualify for a reduction. Quite often refurbishment works are carried out whilst a property is still lived in.

Many vacant properties have work done prior to the occupier moving in. This is desirable or cosmetic work rather than essential major repair work.

It is important for landlords or those intending to let property to note that although they may think of ‘uninhabitable’ as meaning ‘unfit to let’, the condition of the property may be acceptable to an owner occupier.

It is essential that the Council’s inspector can see the repairs that are needed before they are started or at least before they are completed.

Substantial supporting evidence such as a qualified surveyors report may also be required.

The Council can consider the cost and extent of the works required to make the property habitable, the time those works would take,  and any other obvious features of the works.

Structural alterations

These include:

  • major underpinning
  • total replacement of floors
  • including new joists
  • damp proof membrane
  • total replacement of ceilings or roof including new joists/timbers
  • total re-plastering (back to brickwork) of the entire walls of the majority of the property.
We use cookies, just to track visits to our website, we store no personal details. Show ACCEPT COOKIES / DECLINE COOKIES option