Pest control

Service information

What do you want to do?

The Council provides domestic and commercial treatments for public health pests and some non public health pests.

We also offer commercial contracts for businesses and schools and a pest identification service.

Services we provide are:

  • domestic treatments for public health pests and some non public health pests
  • commercial treatments for public health pests and some non public health pests
  • commercial contracts
  • pro-active treatments
  • advice.

Some of these services are chargeable. Please see either domestic or commercial pest control information for more details.

Treatments will only be carried out if it is safe and legal to do so.

The council does not provide a bee hive removal service, however details are available of local bee keepers who may be able to assist you. There may be a charge for this service.

For more information on local bee keepers please visit the British Beekeepers Association.

Request pest control

If you wish to ask for a treatment you need to request it using the online form. You will be asked to provide information including:

  • name, address and telephone number of person responsible for the property where treatment is required;
  • address of property where treatment required (if different);
  • whether the property is domestic or commercial;
  • if commercial, whether or not you have a contract with the pest control service (see Commercial Contracts page on the right hand side);
  • type of pest;
  • where the pest is in the property and details of any evidence of pest e.g. mice in kitchen, evidence of nibbled food packets;
  • how and when we can get in to carry out the treatment or whether an appointment needs to be made beforehand.

Requests for pest control must be made by the person either living in the property or paying for the treatment. This is for a number of reasons:

  • we need permission from the owner/occupier to access the property;
  • for chargeable jobs, we need the agreement of the person responsible for the charge;
  • where pesticides are used, we need to have the signature of the responsible person.

Pest control advice

The pest control officers can offer advice on a wide range of pest control issues.

Where a treatment can be provided, arrangements will be made for a pest control office to visit.

In other cases, the pest control office may provide advice on how to treat a pest or where to obtain readily available products which would be useful for a particular problem.

It is very important to read the manufacturers instructions for any 'over the counter' treatments very carefully before they are used and to only use the insecticide for the use that it is intended.

They can also advise on measures to prevent further problems.

Information sheets are available for some of the more common pests including:

  • pigeons
  • flies
  • ants
  • bed bugs
  • cockroaches
  • fleas
  • mice
  • wasps.

If you would like some advice on pests, please contact us.

Contact details

Mail Neighbourhood health, Davyfield Road, Blackburn BB1 2LX
Phone Number(s) 01254 585397
Fax Number(s) 01254 585865
Extra Information
We use cookies, just to track visits to our website, we store no personal details. Show ACCEPT COOKIES / DECLINE COOKIES option