Van and trailer permit scheme for recycling centres

What do you want to do?

Blackburn with Darwen Borough Council's two household waste recycle centres (tips, dumps) are for household waste only and for the use of residents of Blackburn with Darwen.

Only cars are allowed at the sites to deter trade rubbish from being disposed of illegally. Estate vehicles including 4 x 4's with full side windows can also use the sites. If you use a van or a trailer you must get a permit beforehand.

Measures to prevent commercial waste from illegally entering household waste recycle centres, are now common across the UK. Permits are widely used to allow genuine household waste into the sites from commercial type vehicles e.g. vans.

Vehicles that need permits

You are required to obtain a permit if you want to use the centres with one of the following vehicles:

  • Vans
  • Pickups
  • Trailers
  • Mini buses
  • Hire van. Single visit permits are available at each site.
  • Vehicles with the rear seats removed

Vehicles not allowed to use the sites

  • Tippers
  • Any vehicle with trade waste
  • Agricultural type vehicles
  • Motorhomes
  • Vehicles over 3 tonnes gross vehicle weight

Note: Commercial waste can not be disposed of at household waste recycling centres.

Applying for a permit

Permits are free and can be obtained either by completing the online form. Please read the terms and conditions before applying.

Hire vans - how to apply to use the HWRC's with a hired vehicle

You can use the HWRC's with a hire vehicle, in the following circumstances:

  • The hire period is for no more than 2 days
  • The vehicle is one which we allow on site (please see list above)
  • The waste you wish to deposit is household waste only from Blackburn with Darwen residences

What you need to do

Take the following documents to the site:

  • Hire documents
  • Council tax or utility bill with the address of the property from which the waste has come

Present these documents to the staff on site who will record your details, and issue you with a permit allowing you to tip once at the centre, either then or later (depending upon if you have loaded your vehicle).​

We use cookies, just to track visits to our website, we store no personal details. Show ACCEPT COOKIES / DECLINE COOKIES option