Would you like to meet other new mums and babies?
Would you like to prepare for feeding your baby before your baby arrives?
Do you need support / help to feed your new baby – whatever your chosen feeding method?
Please come along to one of our breastfeeding groups; they are friendly, informal, and fun!
- 1pm to 2.30pm: Hancock Street Children’s Centre (01254) 666230
- 1pm to 2.30pm: Little Harwood Children’s Centre (01254) 506910
- 9.30am to 11am: Livesey Children’s and All Age Centre (01254) 507950
- 11am to 12.30pm : Higher Croft Children’s Centre (01254) 267920
- 1pm to 2.30pm: Audley Children’s Centre (01254) 507750
- 2.30pm to 4pm: Shadsworth Children’s Centre (01254) 680733
- 11am to 12.30pm: Wensley Fold Children’s Centre (01255) 585085
- 9.30am to 11am: Darwen Children’s Centre (01254) 778900
The groups are facilitated by peer supporters from children's centres and local mother volunteers who have all had training should you need any help / information.
Mums tell us they love these groups and most of all enjoy being with other mums.
For more information about the above groups please contact your local children's centre.
For national breastfeeding support
The national breastfeeding helpline is run by trained mothers – have a chat with someone who understands and has the knowledge to answer you questions
National Breastfeeding Helpline Number
0300 100 0212 - 365days/year 9.30am-9.30pm
- NCT Breastfeeding Helpline – 0300 330 0771 (8am-midnight, every day)
- Association of breastfeeding mothers helpline – 08444 122 949 (9.30am-10.30pm, every day)
- BLISS help line (for babies who are in or have been in neonatal intensive care) – see - http://www.bliss.org.uk/helpline
For local breastfeeding support
All these people can help you:
- Your midwife
- Your health visitor
- Your local children's centre
- Your neonatal nurse
For specialist feeding support
We have two lactation consultants in Blackburn with Darwen.
Your midwife or health visitor may refer you if appropriate / needed.
In Blackburn with Darwen, we welcome women to breastfeed their babies anywhere in our town.
The Equality Act 2010: A clear law for women breast-feeding babies. The Government supports women who want to breast-feed their baby. But many women do not know what their rights are. As a result, many woman do not breast-feed their babies in shops, cafés and other public places, in case the owner asks them to leave. So the Equality Act makes it clear that it is against the law to stop a woman breast-feeding her baby in places like coffee shops, buses, and restaurants, or to ask her to leave.
Please remember that every Children's Centre, Health Centre and GP Practice, School and Council Building in Blackburn with Darwen are 'Breastfeeding Welcome'
A mother's tip... Some women find that wearing loose clothing or a light scarf helps them feel more confident when breastfeeding in public.
Come along to one of our breastfeeding groups – this is often where confidence starts for many mums.
These facilities have signed up to our 'breastfeeding welcome' standard:
- Astley Bank Hotel – Bolton Road
- Brewers Fayre – Oakenhurst Farm
- Bridge Café – Bridge Street
- Café Hub – Freefounder St
- Café Lush – Railway Road
- CJ’s - Market Street
- Deono’s Café – Darwen Market
- Deli Carlo – Town Centre
- Dolly’s Tearoom – Bolton Road
- Greggs – Market Street
- Mello – Bolton Road
- Pamela’s Café Takeaway – Croft Street
- Subway – Duckworth Street
- Tasty Bits – Bolton Road
- The Bridgewater – Church Street
- The Sweet Vintage Tea Room – Croft Street
- The Tea Shop – Market Street
- Zest Café Lounge – Mayfield Flats
Blackburn Town Centre
- Bb1 For Life – Northgate
- Blackburn Market – Church Street
- Blakey’s – Northgate
- Butlers Family Restraunt – Blackburn Market
- Café Northcote at the Cathedral – Blackburn Cathedral
- Costa Coffee – The Mall
- Debenham’s – Northgate
- Ed’s Easy Diner – The Mall
- El Greco – Church Street
- Exchange Coffee Company – Blackburn Market
- Exchange Coffee Company – Fleming Square
- Hartley’s Café/Restaurant – Northgate
- Liz ‘n’ Lil’s – Northgate
- Mark’s and Spencer – King William Street
- Mash’s Wing Ranch – Richmond Chambers
- Muffins – Townhall Street
- Postal Order – Darwen Street
- Rebound Book Shop & Coffee Shop – Townhall Street
- Rhode Island Coffee – The Mall
- The Courthouse Restaurant – King Street
- The Mall Blackburn
- Asda – Grimshaw Park
- B & Q café – Bolton Road
- Blues Bar – BRFC Ewood
- Bowlplex - Lower Audley Street
- Calypso Caribbean Restaurant – Eanom Wharf
- Chiquitos - Lower Audley Street
- Costa Coffee within Next
- Dunelm Coffee Shop – Lower Audley Street
- Frankie and Benny’s – Lower Audley Street
- Oyster and Otter – Livesey Branch Road
- Mr Joe’s Burger and Shakes – Shearbrow
- Pizza Hut – Lower Audley Street
- Shahi – Qila – Shear Bank Road
- Tesco Family Dining – Tesco Blackburn
- The Clove Café Bistro – Shear Brow
- The Clog and Billycock – Pleasington
- The Fernhurst Lodge – Bolton Road
- The Range Coffee Shop
- The Willows – Haslingden Road
Useful leaflets on feeding, reltionship building and safer sleep.