Validation criteria for planning applications
The Council’s Executive Member for Regeneration recently approved the amended Local Validation Checklist on the 8th September, following the recent consultation on the changes that have been made.
The new validation checklist and summary document can be found below.
Before making a planning application we recommend that you firstly seek advice.
We encourage you to make and pay for your planning application on line to help speed up the process.
The benefits of this are:
- There is 'on line' guidance
- You can save and work on your application in draft
- You can submit at any time without the delays and cost associated with traditional postal systems
- You can attach all the necessary documents
- You can buy location (plans and site plans)
- You can pay electronically via planning portal when you make the application or telephone 01254 585960 to make a card payment over the phone
- You can archive your application with a download facility for storing on your own computer
- It saves you the cost of the paper!
If you prefer to submit a hard copy you can download the form.
- 1 hard copy of the form and all documents
- A copy of all the documents on CD (we will not be able to process the application if this is not provided)
Planning information for agents
The Council receives a high proportion of new planning applications which are invalid when they are received because of errors on the forms or because information is missing from the submission. Most of the errors are avoidable. A letter was sent to agents informing them of a stricter approach and recommending the validation checklist below which has been adopted to improve the quality of submissions and reduce the time taken to validate applications. You can download a copy of the letter here.
How to pay
- Applications submitted via planning portal can be paid for electronically via planning portal
- Card Payments: Please telephone 01254 585960 after 1pm. If you wish, you can telephone from the public phones in the reception area of Blackburn and Darwen Town Halls.
- Cheque payments: Please send to The Planning Department, Lower Ground Floor, Town Hall, Blackburn, BB1 7DY. Please make sure that you provide a reference, your name and site address so that we can link the payment.
We do not accept payments in person in the Town Hall
It is not possible to apply online for the following:
- Application for a Certificate of Lawfulness of Proposed Works to a listed building
- Extending the time limits of existing planning permission (This application is only valid for permissions granted ON or BEFORE 1 October 2010 that have NOT expired. )
- Prior Approval of a Proposed Larger Home Extension
- Prior Approval of Proposed Change of Use of a building from Office (Use Class B1) Use to a use falling within Use Class C3 (Dwellinghouses)
- Prior Approval of Proposed Change of Use of Agricultural Building to a Dwellinghouse (Use Class C3), and for Associated Operational Development
- Prior Approval of Proposed Change of Use of a building from a Retail (Use Class A1or A2) Use or a Mixed Retail and Residential Use to a use falling within Use Class C3 (Dwellinghouse), and for Associated Operational Development
- Prior Approval of Proposed Change of Use to State-Funded School or Registered Nursery
- Prior Approval of Proposed Change of Use of Agricultural Building to a State-Funded School or Registered Nursery
- Prior Approval of Proposed Change of Use of Agricultural Building to a flexible use within Shops, Financial and Professional services, Restaurants and Cafes, Business, Storage or Distribution, Hotels, or Assembly or Leisure
However forms are available from www.planningportal.gov.uk
Correct information checklists
To enable applications to be dealt with as quickly as possible please make sure all relevant information is submitted with an application.
The validation checklist is provided to help you submit an application for planning permission (or a related consent) to the Council.