The Council will investigate complaints of nuisance caused by the build up of waste in a garden or yard of a property that has not been disposed of in the correct manner. Whatever the reasons for the build up of rubbish the occupier / owner of the house is responsible for sorting the problem out.
Waste that would generally cause a problem is food waste, nappies etc.
Problems caused by build ups of this type of waste are:
- Disease - Waste (particularly food waste) attracts mice and rats which spread disease.
- Odour-Rotting waste gives off foul smells.
- Insects - You may also start to get problems with flies and other insects.
- An ugly mess-piles of waste outside a house makes the area appear run down and unpleasant.
- Cost - Every year the Council responds to hundreds of complaints regarding waste accumulations and spends thousands of pounds getting the people responsible to sort their own waste out. This money would be better spent helping people or improving our Borough.
Report a rubbish build up
Please contact us to report a rubbish build up.
If we investigate a rubbish build-up we will usually give the person responsible a set period of time to remove it.
If the waste is not removed within the given time, the person responsible may be served with a legal notice.
Failure to comply may result in prosecution.
If they don't act we may remove the waste and send a bill for the work, plus an extra legal charge. It usually costs between £200 and £1,000.
Note that it is against the law to burn waste.