Household Support Scheme

Updated: 05.08.22

The Government have announced the scheme will be further extended to help with the rising cost of living. The Household Support Scheme will be run by the Council and local partners, to assist residents of Blackburn with Darwen to access food, support with energy and water bills, and other essential items.

Funding may be available for:

  • Blackburn with Darwen residents, children, families and adults
  • single claimants with an annual household income below £21,152
  • couples with an annual household income below £31,731

Please note, we may ask you about your savings.

The applicants must also meet at least one of the following additional criteria:

  • recipient of income related benefits, such as Universal Credit claimants
  • diagnosed with a severe mental health disorder (schizophrenia, bipolar disorder, major depressive disorder and schizoaffective disorder)
  • diagnosed with a long term medical condition related to diabetes (both type 1 and 2), respiratory or cardiovascular diseases
  • diagnosed with long COVID

You must be able to provide evidence for those that apply to you above, showing your name and address.

If you are applying due to income related hardship, we will require evidences such as a bank statement showing income expenditure and/or a screenshot of your UC account or other income related benefits.

If you are applying due to health issues, we will require evidences such as a GP/consultant letter regarding the condition and evidence of medication/s taken for the condition such as prescriptions.

Awards under this scheme may be taxable, but will not be subject to National Insurance contributions. You must make your own enquiries to establish your tax position, we will not take responsibility for your tax liabilities. We will make HMRC aware of all payments made to individuals.

If you do not meet the eligibility criteria for the Household Support Scheme, you can ask for help, advice and support from the Help Hub Team.

Food support

If you are suffering hardship or struggling to make ends meet the Household Support Family Food Boxes are still available from the Community and Business Partners organisation. To apply or to arrange collection, please email

The Healthy Start scheme can help pregnant mums or if you have a child under 4 years old. Further information on Healthy Start can be found on the GOV.UK website.

Energy advice

With the rising cost of energy, there are a number of government schemes and grants available to help people with their fuel bills.

Warm Home Discount Scheme

The Warm Home Discount scheme will be expanded, so nearly 3 million low-income households will benefit from a £150 discount.

Winter Fuel Payment

The Winter Fuel Payment is a government grant between £100 and £300 for people born before 26 September 1955 to help pay their heating bills.

Cold Weather Payment

The Cold Weather Payment is automatically given to eligible households in areas where temperatures are recorded below 0 degrees for 7 consecutive days.

Other schemes

Some energy suppliers also run their own energy grants to provide financial aid for those who need it, you don't necessarily need to be their customer to take advantage.

White goods

The scheme can help provide essential items such as white goods to enable you to cook and store food such as a cooker, fridge, freezer etc.

We will only accept applications for 1 white good item per household based on all applications received from the property since 1st December 2021.

Apply for the Household Support Scheme

Before applying for the scheme, you will need a MyBwD account. Watch a tutorial on how to create an account if you do not have one.

Once you have submitted your application, we will contact you within 10 working days. Please do not re-submit your application.

Due to high numbers of applications we have extended the contact period to 20 working days, we hope to return to 10 working days in due course.


The Council is working with a number of local organisations, who can offer support, with the addition of:

  • Age UK
  • BwD Healthy Living
  • Rummage Rescuers
  • Jubilee Tower Credit Union
  • Care Network
  • BwD Home Start
  • BwD Carers Service
  • Shelter

To see if you qualify for support, you will need to complete the online referral form. You can self-refer or alternatively, you can be referred by a family member, friend, neighbour, professional, school, or a community group.