The UK is one of the most generous nations in the world and the British public are now being asked to open their homes to those fleeing the war in Ukraine. To ensure everyone remains safe, as a sponsor here are some things to consider:
- Checks will need to be undertaken by the local authority on the suitability and standard of accommodation being put forward. Individuals in households may also be required to have a DBS check. For those who are suitable the Council will be looking to work with them to provide support around health, education and wider social needs as best we can.
- You may need to check with your Landlord to ensure you can offer a space and may need to check with your Home Insurance provider.
- To help, you’ll need to have a spare bedroom and consider being able to provide a copy of your house key to your guest/s.
- You will be supported with a £350 per month ‘Thank you’ payment for each household that takes a refugee family. Please do consider any impact it may have on your utility bills etc.
- You may be asked to support to provide food and other basics if required initially
- As a sponsor you may be asked to contribute towards some of family’s travel costs
- Will you be able to help signpost people to register to GPs, dentists, schools etc.?
- Can you help someone navigate a new town?
- Social Workers or support staff may need to visit your home to help with settling into the community
- It’s likely people could be in trauma and may need specialised support. Your help and patience at such a difficult time will be invaluable as would be signposting them to the support necessary such as to GPs, NHS providers etc.
- Have you talked to your family or children about how they feel about hosting a new person in your home? This can be a good opportunity to have an open conversation to ensure everyone has their voices heard.