Residential & Nursing Care

Residential and nursing homes are for people over the age of 18 who are no longer able to remain living independently at home.

In certain circumstances, short term places are also available for people recovering from a hospital stay or illness, or to give the person who cares for them a break from their caring responsibilities.

There are different types of residential and nursing care homes in Blackburn with Darwen where a number of people live together, looked after by care staff, 24 hours a day.

They are independently run by a variety of private and not-for-profit organisations.

All registered residential and nursing care homes are regulated by the Care Quality Commission. You can visit CQC website where you will find general information and copies of inspection reports.

There are two main categories of care available in Blackburn with Darwen:

Residential Care Homes without Nursing Care

Residential care provides accommodation, meals and assistance with personal care 24 hours a day. If the person has any health needs, assistance may be provided by community health and care services.

Care Homes with Nursing Care

Nursing care provides accommodation, meals and assistance with personal care and additionally, access to qualified nursing staff on duty 24 hours per day.

Access to Residential and Nursing Care

We can provide you with information and advice on services that are available to help you to continue to live independently and to maintain your quality of life. The Adult Social Care Customer Liaison Team is the first point of contact for all referrals and general enquiries. You can contact them from 8.45am to 5pm, Monday to Friday on (01254) 587547.

If you need support from Blackburn with Darwen Council to enable you to move into a residential or nursing care home, we will carry out assessments to work out just how much, and what type of care you need and if you require financial assistance.

If you don’t need financial support from Blackburn with Darwen Borough Council, or you just want see what is available, you can find information about care homes in the borough and beyond on the HousingCare website.