Benefit decision appeals and reviews

Updated 13.12.21

You can appeal against a Housing Benefit and Council Tax Support decision if you do not agree with it.

You can email us at and ask us to look at your claim again. If you do not have digital access you can write to us at: Revenues and Benefits, Town Hall, Blackburn, BB1 7DY

Housing benefit

If you think the Housing Benefit decision is wrong, you have one calendar month from the date of the decision notice to tell us. You can ask us to:

  • Look at the decision again – this can be via email or letter and must state what you disagree with and why, providing supporting evidence where possible
  • Appeal against the decision and request it be looked at by the Tribunal Service – this must be via email or in writing with your signature. Your email / letter must state what you are appealing against and why, providing supporting evidence where possible.

Council Tax Support

If you do not agree with the decision made, you can request a reconsideration of the decision by emailing or writing to us as above, or make an appeal. Please note an individual cannot appeal against the authority's scheme, and accordingly, it is not a decision against which there is a right of appeal to the authority or to the Valuation Tribunal Service.

You can only appeal against the amount of reduction awarded to you for the reasons below:

  • You think that, under the rules of the local Council Tax Support scheme, the Council should have given you a reduction on the council tax you have to pay.
  • You think the amount of reduction the council have given you under the local Council Tax Support scheme is not correct.

For more information on the Valuation Tribunal Service please visit their website or contact Tel: 0300 123 2035

If a Council Tax payer is experiencing exceptional financial hardship and receiving Council Tax, support a claim for assistance can be made.

An application for the exceptional hardship fund can be made by completing the online application linked below.

Apply for an exceptional hardship payment

The Council will consider each application on its own merits, but as the fund is limited, awards will only be made in exceptional circumstances.

Further help and advice

The Council has partnered with Shelter to provide free confidential welfare and debt advice to residents of the borough.

You can call Shelter for help and advice on 0344 515 1831, email, or by drop-in at Blackburn Library. There is also lots of helpful advice on their website.

Confidential and independent help is also available via the National Debtline you can call them on 0800 808 4000 or visit their website.