Benefits you may be entitled to

An overview of what benefits are available to apply for, including Housing Benefit and Council Tax Support.

There are a range of benefits that you can claim, depending on your circumstances. These benefits are issued by both Blackburn with Darwen Borough Council and by the government.

Housing benefit

You can only make a new claim for housing benefit from Blackburn with Darwen Borough Council if you answer yes to one of the following:

  • do you live in specialist supported accommodation (as determined by the Local Authority)?
  • are you or your partner of pension age?**

** From the 15th May 2019 the rules have changed for NEW claims made where one member of the couple has reached pension age and the other member is of working age. This change may mean you have to claim Universal Credit Housing Costs instead of Housing Benefit. For more information please visit the GOV.UK website.

If you answer no to the above questions you must apply for help towards your housing costs from Universal Credit. Claims must be made online from the GOV.UK website

If you answer yes to any of the above questions you are entitled to claim help with your housing costs via Housing Benefit.

Hostels Benefit

You may be entitled to claim Housing Benefit and Council Tax support if you are a resident of a designated hostel accommodation only. Find out more about hostel benefits.

Council Tax support

If you are on a low income and liable for Council Tax payments, you may be able to get some help towards your Council Tax bill, in the form of Council Tax Support. The Council Tax Support scheme is designed and administered by Blackburn with Darwen Borough Council. Find out more about Council Tax Support

Emergency support

If you are in receipt of Housing Benefit or the housing element of Universal Credit and are in financial hardship you can apply for help towards rental shortfalls, arrears or deposits to move via the Discretionary Housing Payment fund.

If you are in receipt of Council Tax support and in need of further financial help towards your Council Tax payments, you can apply for help via the exceptional hardship fund