Housing benefit and Council Tax support eligibility

Council Tax support is a local scheme designed to help people on a low income pay their Council Tax, and must still be claimed from the local authority.

Blackburn with Darwen is now a full service Universal Credit area - this means that the way you apply for help towards your rent has changed.

You are only eligible to make a new claim for Housing Benefit if you answer yes to one or more of the following:

  • Are you or your partner of pension age?

From the 15 May 2019, the rules have changed for new claims made in which one member of the couple has reached pension age and the other member is of working age. This change may mean that you have to claim Universal Credit housing costs instead of Housing Benefit. Find out more.

  • Are you currently living in one of the following types of accommodation?
    • ​accommodation that provides you with care support and supervision as part of your tenancy agreement such as a registered charity, not for profit organisation, housing association or county council property as determined by the local authority
    • supported accommodation
    • domestic violence refuge

If you answer yes to any of the above questions, apply for housing benefit and Council Tax support online.

If you answer no to the above questions, you must apply for help towards your housing costs from Universal Credit. Claims must be made online.