The Government have announced a new scheme that launched on 1st December to support those most in need this winter. The Household Support Scheme will be run by the Council and local partners, to assist residents of Blackburn with Darwen to access food, support with energy and water bills, and other essential costs.
Please note, if you wish to apply for emergency support, whilst isolating, further information can be found on BwD Help Hub.
The Household Support Scheme helps with:
- warm clothing
- sanitary products (nappies etc.)
- winter essentials (duvet, bedding etc.)
- white goods (cooker, fridge etc.)
- food items
- fuel that is used for the purpose of domestic heating, cooking, and lighting, including light bulbs
- water/sewage bill support
The scheme will run until 31st March 2022 to help those who may nor may not meet the threshold for benefits but may be affected by increased fuel prices, job losses, self-isolation etc.
Funding may be available for:
- Blackburn with Darwen children, families and vulnerable adults
- single claimants with an annual household income below £21,152
- couples with an annual household income below £31,731
These applicants must also meet at least one of the following additional criteria:
- recipient of income related benefits, such as Universal Credit claimants
- facing financial hardship due to winter pressures
- diagnosed with a severe mental health disorder (schizophrenia, bipolar disorder, major depressive disorder and schizoaffective disorder)
- diagnosed with a long term medical condition related to diabetes (both type 1 and 2), respiratory or cardiovascular diseases
- diagnosed with long COVID
Please note, you must be able to provide evidence for those that apply to you above.
Due to high volume of applications, the team will contact you as soon as they possibly can, please note this may exceed the time frame of 2 working days. Please do not re-submit your application.
The Council is working with a number of local organisations, who can offer support, with the addition of:
- Age UK
- BwD Healthy Living
- Rummage Rescuers
- Jubilee Tower Credit Union
- Care Network
- BwD Home Start
- BwD Carers Service
To see if you qualify for support, you will need to complete the online referral form. You can self-refer or alternatively, you can be referred by a professional, school, or a community group.
Watch a tutorial on how to create an account