Construction and DIY waste permit

Anyone arriving at either the Blackburn or Darwen household waste recycling centre will be required to produce a permit to be allowed to ‘tip off’ construction / DIY type wastes.

Apply for a construction/DIY permit

A permit is required to dispose of construction or inert DIY type waste. There is no charge for a permit.

Types of waste that require a permit

Anything that needs to be placed in the hardcore / construction waste or plasterboard skips at the centres requires a permit to be disposed of.

The following items must not be placed in the general waste skips:

  • ash (from coal fires / woodburners etc.)
  • bath
  • bathroom sink, pedestal, bidet
  • bricks
  • ceramics
  • chimney pots
  • clay
  • concrete / concrete fence post, lintels
  • flag stones
  • hardcore, rubble
  • kitchen sink
  • plaster, plasterboard
  • tiles – floor, wall or roof (incl slates)
  • soil including sand, stones, turf
  • tarmac
  • toilet base, or cistern

If you do not have a permit you will not be allowed to dispose of construction / DIY type waste.

In the 12 month period from the date of issue, your permit will allow you to dispose of up to 10 standard rubble-sized bags (600mm x 900mm) or equivalent items. An equivalent item could be a toilet, sink or large plasterboard sheet.

If you are using a van / pickup / trailer, you will also need a van / pickup / trailer permit.

You must present your permit to the site staff upon arrival. Your permit will be ‘clipped’ for each bag or equivalent items which you dispose of.

If have used up your allowance for the 12 months on your permit, you cannot pay staff at the centres to dispose of more materials. Please hire a skip or dispose of at a ‘trade’ waste disposal centre.

Only one permit will be issued per vehicle and per household at any one time. There is no charge for a permit.

Once your application has been approved, your permit will be posted to you.