Same sex marriages

Convert your civil partnership to marriage

You can convert your civil partnership to marriage.

The conversion into marriage will only be available for couples who registered their civil partnership in England and Wales, or overseas in a consulate or armed forces base (where the civil partnership was registered according to the laws of England and Wales).

The single stage process

You must both attend an appointment in person, at any register office to complete a declaration.

You will need to provide proof of identity and of your civil partnership registration.The conversion happens when a couple signs a declaration that they've not dissolved their civil partnership. The declaration must be signed at the register office and the conversion will be registered, with a marriage certificate issued.

The two stage process

You must both attend an appointment in person at any register office to provide the same information as above and to complete a declaration. The signing of the declaration and a celebratory ceremony can then take place at a venue that is registered for civil marriage, or a religious building that is registered for marriage (same sex couple) within England or Wales. The declaration must be signed within 12 months from the date the declaration is completed.


A statutory fee is payable.

To book an appointment for your civil partnership conversion or for more information, please telephone 01254 588660 or email