Building control applications

Building regulation approval is required for most types of building work.

However there are some exemptions that do not require permission, or works that can be carried out by a member of a competent person scheme.

Types of application

There are three types of application that you can make:

  • commercial, industrial or larger domestic projects: plans are drawn up make a full plans application.
  • small scale domestic work: a building notice
  • work that has already been carried out without building regulation consent where permission is now being sought: a regularisation application would need to be submitted for consideration.

Please see further information on the types of application and whether the works you wish to carry out require permission.

How to apply

If approval is required for the proposed work, please complete and submit the relevant application form availble form the documents section below.

You can also submit applications on line by registering with submit-a-plan.

How to submit

Please send your completed application form by email to:

Alternatively, you can submit applications on line by registering with submit-a-plan.

How to pay

A fee is required as part of your building regulations application. The fee is determined on the type of work you propose to carry out.

Please consult the current scale of charges (see documents section below) to establish which fee must be paid.

Payment may be made by credit or debit card by telephoning the office between 08:30-17:00 Monday to Friday.

Planning permission

Please be aware that your proposed building work might also need planning permission.

Further information