Claim a business rate refund

Information on how to claim a business rate refund for yourself or claiming a refund on behalf of someone else.

Refunds of business rates are paid direct into the bank account of the person or persons who's name is on the business rates bill. Please ensure that you have your bank account details to hand before completing the online form.

If your account is in credit because you have moved out of the address, we will only issue a refund if we have a forwarding address.

We will normally only issue a refund if your account is in credit so if you have qualified for an exemption or discount and your bill has reduced, you will not receive a refund but instead a new business rates bill with new instalments.

If your property has had a change in rateable value by the Valuation Office then we will normally refund the amount your account is in credit after the rateable value has been amended, if your alteration in rateable value has been back dated over a number of years and you wish for the full value of the reduction to be refunded then please contact us and let us know.

If your account is in credit at the end of a financial year, we will offset this credit against your liability for the next financial year unless you specify otherwise.

We do not normally refund any amounts of less than £10.00, where you still have an ongoing liability, instead this credit will be carried forward to the following year.

Overpaid direct debits

In the unlikely event that your business rates are overpaid because of a problem with your direct debit, you are covered by the Direct Debit Guarantee.

You will be refunded the amount that has been overpaid by your bank, and we will reimburse your bank.

We will not send a refund directly to you.