Business rates charity relief

Charities are entitled to relief from rates on any non-domestic property which is wholly or mainly used for charitable purposes.

To qualify the occupier will normally need to be registered with the Charity Commission as a charity, although some organisations are exempt from registration.

Organisations which are not registered charities, but which are established for charitable purposes may qualify. In these cases the Council will decide whether the organisation can be regarded as a charity.

Relief is given at 80% of the bill and the Council has discretion to remit all or part of the remaining 20% of a charity's bill on such property.

The Council also has the discretion to remit all or part of any rate bill in respect of property occupied by certain bodies not established or conducted for profit.

To apply for this relief you will need to complete an application form.

Complete an application form