Covid-19 and the measures taken to manage the virus and protect us continue to impact everyone in Blackburn with Darwen. We have a roadmap to recovery, but it depends on our local community working together to protect one another.
We are inviting anyone over the age of 18 who lives or works in Blackburn with Darwen to register as a Covid Community Champion.
- What is a Covid Community Champion?
Champions are local people who want to support Blackburn with Darwen’s recovery from the Coronavirus pandemic.
Champions receive the very latest information about Covid-19 from the Council. They then share this information with their networks - their friends, family, neighbours, colleagues and local community groups - helping local people to make sense of the latest guidance, and enabling them to make informed choices.
Champions also help us by sharing their ideas and local issues, so we can listen and respond, to help people stay well.
Champions help us to reach more local people with the latest facts about Covid-19, in particular those most at risk from the long-term impacts of the virus including:
- people who don't have digital access
- people with disabilities
- people from diverse backgrounds
- Who should get involved
This role is perfect for you if you:
- are aged 18+
- live, work or have connections to the local area
- want to help us make a difference
- are an active and trusted member of your community
- have a passion for helping others
- have good social skills and are caring towards others
- are respectful of people’s right to make their own decisions
You do not need any formal qualifications or previous volunteering experience to apply.
You will need:
- an email address or a mobile phone to receive updates and information
- access to Microsoft Teams if you wish to join network meetings – Teams training is available for those who need it
- How does it work?
- sign up to become a champion
- receive the latest guidance and information on Covid-19 directly from us
- share the latest key messages within your community in a way that works for you
- let us know what is and isn’t working
- will have a single point of contact to discuss ideas, offer suggestions and ask questions
- What’s in it for you?
- receive training and ongoing support from us
- be a credible source of information for your family, friends and community
- help us to keep Blackburn with Darwen and our community safe
- receive recognition for volunteering – you can tell your customers, your friends, your family, and your employers
- Covid Community Champions Plus
If you have strong community links and feel that you’d like to get more involved, then our Covid Community Champion Plus role could be for you.
Alongside your regular Covid Community Champion role, you’ll also;
- take part in online meetings with local Public Health officers and other Council representatives
- help us to gather insight about what's working well and what we could do better
- share key issues affecting your community as we recover from the pandemic
- share questions people are asking
- hear about how we are supporting communities to stay safe
- find out what the latest public health data is telling us, what we're learning and how we're going to respond
As a Covid Community Champion Plus you'll be helping us to shape services and to inform the way we respond to the impact of the virus at every stage of recovery.
- Role overview
Below you’ll find information on the Champions role, including differences between the Covid Community Champion and Covid Community Champion Plus roles.
This will help you to decide which role is right for you.
Community champion's roles Activity Community Champion Community Champion Plus Register and sign our Covid Community Champion Pledge Yes Yes Receive the latest public health information and guidance Yes Yes Share up-to-date information with friends, family, neighbours, colleagues and communities in a way that works for you Yes Yes Talk about the Community Champion role and encourage others to sign up Yes Yes Share communications preferences for you and your community Yes Yes Be a positive role model and public health advocate Yes Yes Let us know what you and your contacts would like to know from us Not essential Yes Support other Community Champions Not essential Yes Complete an induction process Not essential Yes Complete any relevant Community Champion training Not essential Yes Attend regular online Community Champion meetings Not essential Yes Attend events and take part in promotional activities (which are Covid-compliant and when it is safe to do so) Not essential Yes Gather feedback from the community and reactions to key Public Health messages Encouraged – Not essential Yes Share non Covid-19 key messaging about recovery and/or other issues that impact communities Encouraged - Not essential Yes Provide feedback from self and/or wider community about recovery and/or other issues that impact communities Not essential Yes
This is your chance to help reduce the spread of Covid-19 in our community, and to play an important role in our pandemic recovery work.
If you want to volunteer and get involved, please register below:
- this is not an enforcement or regulatory role
- if you are concerned about a breach of current restrictions, please report it as you would normally
- volunteering doesn’t constitute a contract of employment or eligibility for internal recruitment positions
- as this is a voluntary role, you are free to opt out at any time
- Comments and feedback
If you are an approved Champion and have any comments or feedback then please do so here: