Local restrictions to control virus spread

Updated 18.09.20

The Government have today announced further restrictions across the borough which will come into force from Tuesday, 22nd September. You can read the statement here.

The new restrictions will affect Darwen and parts of Blackburn. For those residents who live in the eight wards with existing targeted interventions, you must continue to adhere to the existing restrictions. You can check which ward you live in here.

The new rules elsewhere in the borough from Tuesday are:

  • residents must not socialise with other people outside of their own households or support bubble in private homes and gardens
  • hospitality for food and drink will be restricted to table service only
  • late night operating hours will be restricted, with leisure and entertainment venues including restaurants, pubs, and cinemas, required to close between 10pm to 5am

Residents are also advised to adhere to the following guidance to further reduce rates of infection:

  • only to use public transport for essential purposes, such as travelling to school or work
  • avoid attending amateur and semi-professional sporting events as spectators

We will continue to update our website as further guidance is released by the Government. Please check back for updates.

Until Tuesday the current restrictions below remain in place.

Please read our FAQs on the latest announcement.

The Government have introduced new targeted interventions which affect eight wards in the borough.

You can check which ward you are in here.

Darwen and the remaining areas in Blackburn are now aligned to national guidance, with the exception of shielding.

The Government have published FAQs of what you can and can’t do under the new restrictions from Monday 14th September.

If you live in one of the following eight wards, or have formed a support bubble with anyone in these wards, you should not socialise with anyone from outside your household.

The eight affected wards are:

  • Audley & Queen’s Park
  • Bastwell & Daisyfield
  • Billinge & Beardwood
  • Blackburn Central
  • Little Harwood & Whitebirk
  • Roe Lee
  • Shear Brow & Corporation Park
  • Wensley Fold

If you live in one of these wards, or have formed a support bubble with someone in these wards. Please see the updated guidance for wards with new targeted interventions.

If you do not live in one of these wards, and have not formed a support bubble with someone in these wards you can find information and guidance here.

Breaching these restrictions is now illegal and the Police can issue a minimum £100 fixed penalty notice to those people who break these laws. We are taking all breaches very seriously. The Council also has new enforcement powers to take action against premises that are not following the covid-19 restrictions. This includes issuing warnings, prohibiting numbers and opening hours and full closures.