Wards with new targeted interventions

Updated 11.09.20

If you live in one of the eight wards with targeted interventions, or have formed a support bubble with anyone in these wards, you should not socialise with anyone from outside your household.

Guidance on the restrictions in these eight wards has now been published by the Government.

Households, support bubbles and linked households

Your household is defined as those that you live with or have formed a support bubble with – also referred to as a linked household.

A support bubble is defined as a group of people with whom you have close physical contact. For example, single adults living alone, or single parents whose children are under 18 can form a support bubble with one other household. This cannot be any two households. One of them has to be a single-adult household or a single parent household.

The total linked-household can be of any size and can include people who are shielding.

Those in the linked household are exclusive and you can’t switch and start another with a different household. People in the linked household can stay in each other’s homes and do not have to socially distance. They count as one household.

Households within a bubble can still visit each other, stay overnight and visit public places together.

Children of parents who are separated can move between their parents own households while the restrictions are in place.

If you have formed a support bubble with a household who is within one of the eight affected wards you should follow the same restrictions, even if you live outside of that area.

Meeting people inside your home

You must not:

  • host people you do not live with in your home or garden, unless they are in your support bubble
  • meet people you do not live with in their home or garden, whether inside or outside of the affected area, unless they are in your support bubble
  • travel outside of these areas to meet people in their home or garden

There are limited exemptions:

  • attending a person's birth;
  • visiting a person who is reasonably believed to be dying;
  • the person is fulfilling a legal obligation;
  • for work purposes, or for the provision of voluntary or charitable services
  • for the purposes of education or training
  • for the purposes of childcare provided by a registered person
  • to provide emergency assistance
  • to avoid injury or illness or escape a risk of harm
  • to facilitate a house move
  • to provide care or assistance to a vulnerable person
  • to continue existing arrangements for access to, and contact between, parents and children where the children do not live in the same household as their parents, or one of their parents.

A private home includes the garden, yard, passages, stairs, outhouses, house boat.

If you have formed a support bubble with a household who is within one of the eight affected wards you should follow the same restrictions, even if you live outside of that area.

The police will be able to take action against those that break these rules, including asking people to disperse and issuing fixed penalty notices starting at £100. People aged 18 or over can be fined.

Public indoor spaces: meeting people from outside your household

You should not visit someone else’s home or garden (except if in support bubble), even if they live outside one of the restricted areas.

You should not socialise with people outside of your household, in other indoor public venues.

An indoor public venue includes:

  • pubs
  • restaurants
  • cafes
  • shops
  • places of worship
  • community centres
  • leisure and entertainment venues
  • visitor attractions

If you operate a business or organise events within the affected areas you should take steps to ensure people do not interact with people they do not live with, in line with COVID-19 secure guidance.

Public outdoor spaces: meeting people from outside your household

You should not socialise with people you do not live with in outdoor public venues such as parks.

You can still go shopping, go to work or attend childcare settings, including schools. But any social activities indoors and outdoors can only be shared with people that you live with and in your immediate household.

If you have formed a support bubble with a household who is within one of the eight affected wards you must follow the same restrictions, even if you live outside of that area.


Friends or family who do not live with you cannot visit your home to help with childcare unless they are part of your support bubble. The only people who can help you with childcare in your home are people you live with, people in your support bubble, or registered childcare providers including nannies.

Parents and carers can continue to use registered child care provision, including childminders and holiday childcare providers.

You should not meet with other households in public outdoor spaces for childcare.

Early years childcare providers can remain open and continue to operate within their normal groups sizes in line with the policy in place since 20 July.

Providers offering holiday clubs, tuition or other activities can remain open as usual and should continue to follow the national guidance.

If you have formed a support bubble with a household who is within one of the eight affected wards you must follow the same restrictions, even if you live outside of that area.

Care Homes

You should not visit friends or family in care homes, other than in exceptional circumstances. Care homes should restrict visits to these circumstances.

Business and premises

Business closures across the Borough are now aligned to the national guidance. Please check our Support for businesses section for more information.

In line with national restrictions the following businesses and venues must remain closed:

  • nightclubs, dance halls, discos
  • sexual entertainment venues and hostess bars
Sport activity

You can play a team sport only where this is formally organised by a sports club or similar organisation. Guidance for sports-governing bodies has been issued on covid-secure practice. You can play individual sports in alignment with guidance.

We advise that all other sports activities should not take place with people who you do not live with at indoor and outdoor public venues.

More information on council sports and leisure facilities.

Reporting a breach of local restrictions

If you have concerns that a retail business, office or warehouse does not have proper social distancing precautions in place please email publicprotection@blackburn.gov.uk.

Visit the Lancashire Constabulary website for information on reporting an incident.

Work and travel

You should try not to share a car with those outside your household or social bubble.

You should not travel outside of your area to meet people other than those in your support bubble, in their homes or gardens, or indoor public places.

You can still go on holiday outside of your area, but you should only do this with people you live with (or have formed a support bubble with).

You should only use public transport for essential reasons. For example:

  • to get to and from work
  • to get essential food or medical supplies including click and collect services
  • to support someone who is vulnerable, if no-one else can do so
  • for exercise, locally where possible
  • to travel to and from others in your support bubble
  • to attend a nursery, school or college, or to accompany a child who is attending a nursery, school or college, where necessary and allowed

People living inside and outside the restricted areas can continue to travel in and out for work. Workplace must implement Covid-19 Secure guidance.
You should try not to share a vehicle with those outside your household or social bubble. If you need to, try to:

  • share the transport with the same people each time
  • keep to small groups of people at any one time
  • open windows for ventilation
  • travel side by side or behind other people, rather than facing them, where seating arrangements allow face away from each other
  • consider seating arrangements to maximise distance between people in the vehicle
  • clean your car between journeys using standard cleaning products – make sure you clean door handles and other areas that people may touch
  • ask the driver and passengers to wear a face covering

Residents shielding in the restricted area (to the North East of Blackburn) are to continue shielding until at least 23 September, with a review by 17 September. You can check to see which Ward you live in.

If you have been assessed as being clinically extremely vulnerable, you should have received a letter dated 28 July 2020 from the Government updating you on the local guidance for those considered clinically extremely vulnerable in the Blackburn with Darwen area. You are strongly advised, to continue to shield by staying at home as much as possible and keeping visits outside to a minimum.

If you have been classed as clinically extremely vulnerable and you work inside an area where clinically extremely vulnerable people are still being advised to shield, you are advised to work from home where possible, and not attend a workplace within the area where local restrictions are in place. If you live outside of that area, you may need to request a shielding letter as proof for your employer that you cannot attend your usual workplace.

If you haven’t received a letter regarding shielding but need evidence for your employer please email splquery@nhs.net.

‘Please give me space’ social distancing cards or badges are available to show the carrier may have difficulties or concerns in maintaining social distance.

Find out more in our Shuttle news article.

Weddings, civil partnerships and funerals

Wedding and civil partnership ceremonies can take place but receptions and parties should not currently be taking place.

At present, legally-valid ceremonies or formations are strongly advised to go ahead only where they can be done in a Covid-19 secure environment. It is also advised that the ceremonies are kept as short as reasonably possible.

A maximum of 20 people should attend these events. This should be limited to close family of the people getting married and people that they live with. Wedding celebrations should not take place in any of the affected areas – unless they are limited to people who live together (or are in the same support bubble), or a group of up to 6 people outdoors.

People living outside of these areas can travel to these areas to attend a wedding or civil partnership, but they should not meet with another household in a private home or garden.

Funerals can still take place (including ceremonies at crematoria). A maximum of 20 people should attend these and should be limited to close family of the person who has died, or people who lived with them. A close friend can attend a funeral only if there are no household members of immediate families.

Places of worship

You can still visit a place of worship in the restricted areas, but you must socially distance from people outside of your household. This means maintaining a distance of 2 metres, or 1 metre with mitigations (e.g. face coverings). Government recommends at this time that if possible prayer/religious services take place outdoors.

Face coverings

In England you must wear a face covering by law and the Government have set out when and where you must wear a face covering. This has been updated on 14th August 2020.

Measures can be taken if people do not comply with the law without a valid exemption.

Here’s a handy guide to making your own or they can be bought relatively cheaply from many shops or online.

Moving home

Estate agenda and letting agents as well as removal firms can continue to work and people looking to move home can continue undertake viewings.