Test and Trace support payment further information

Updated 26.03.21 17:30

I am isolating but have not been told to do so by the NHS Test and Trace Service.

If you have not been contacted by the NHS Test and Trace service you will not qualify for assistance from either scheme. A payment will also be refused if you are not engaging with the NHS Test and Trace Service requests and telephone calls.

Application after your isolation period ends

If you have tested positive for coronavirus or have been in close contact with someone who has tested positive, and told to self-isolate by NHS Test and Trace you may be entitled to a Test and Trace Support Payment of £500.

The cut-off date for applications is 42 days after the first day of an individual’s period of self-isolation.

Applications received outside of this time limit cannot be considered. Starts dates will be verified via Test and Trace.

Providing evidence to support your application

You must submit the required evidence stated in support of your application at the time of completing the form or a decision on your entitlement will be delayed.

The information you provide will be checked against all external systems available to the Local Authority including NHS Test and Trace, The Department for Works and Pensions and HM Revenues and Customs.

Your employer may also be contacted to verify a reduction in your earned income.

Payment effects on benefits and earnings

Any payment made will be disregarded when calculating eligibility to other benefits. The Test and Trace Payment is taxable if you are a taxpayer but it is not subject to National Insurance Contributions. HMRC will automatically collect tax from your pay through your tax code, or self-employed recipients should report the payment on their 20/21 Self-Assessment tax return.

Payment times

We aim to make payments to successful applicants as quickly as possible however due to the high volume of applications this can take longer than anticipated.

If you are overdrawn on the account the payment will be issued to

If you are overdrawn you can ask your bank not to use the payment against your overdraft. This is protection is called a ‘first right of appropriation of funds order’. To use this protection you must contact your bank directly as soon as possible.

If you are furloughed or isolating due to returning from abroad

You will not qualify for assistance from either scheme if your income is lower than normal due to being furloughed or if you are isolating due to returning to the UK from abroad.


There is no right of appeal against a decision not to award a payment. If you do not receive an award it is because you do not meet the criteria. We will not reply to any requests to review our decision.