Disabled band reduction

Information and guidance about claiming a disabled band reduction.

If you, or someone who lives with you, is ‘substantially and permanently’ disabled, we may be able to reduce your bill.

If you qualify for the reduction, your Council Tax charge will be reduced by the equivalent of one property band, even if your property is in band A.

To qualify, your home must have been adapted to meet the needs of the disabled resident, and must have at least one of the following:

  • an extra bathroom or extra kitchen which is necessary to meet the needs of the disabled person
  • a room (other than a bathroom, kitchen or toilet) which is mainly used by the disabled person
  • sufficient floor space to use a wheelchair indoors, where one needs to be used inside the property

The room or the wheelchair must also be essential or of major importance to the disabled person's well-being, due to the nature and extent of their disability.

Stair lifts, handrails and other fixtures on their own would not qualify for the reduction.

A disabled person in this context means a person who is substantially and permanently disabled. The disabled person can be either an adult or a child and does not have to be responsible for paying the Council Tax bill.

Once you have told us of the details, we will consider your application and you will be notified of our decision by email or in writing. If needed, we may contact you for further information or to arrange an inspection of the property.

If you no longer qualify for a disabled band reduction

You must tell us within 21 days if you believe that you are no longer entitled to a disabled band reduction, e.g. the disabled person moves out of your property.

If we find out later that you were not entitled to all or part of the reduction that you were awarded, we will send you a revised backdated Council Tax bill.