Severe mental impairment

Information and guidance about claiming a reduction for people who have a severe mental impairment.

If you, or someone who lives with you, suffers from a severe mental impairment, we may be able to reduce your bill. 

The term ‘severely mentally impaired’ refers to persons who have a severe impairment of intelligence or social functioning (however caused) which appears to be permanent. 

If everyone who lives in a property suffers from a severe mental impairment, the property is exempt from Council Tax. If the property is also occupied by persons who are not suffering from a severe mental impairment, then a reduction of 25% may apply.

We require confirmation the person is suffering from a severe mental impairment from a medical professional, such as a GP, and evidence this person is in receipt of or eligible for certain welfare benefits.

The qualifying welfare benefits are as follows;

  • Universal Credit (UC) including an element for limited capability for work or work related activity
  • Incapacity benefit (short or long term) or Employment Support Allowance (ESA) (Income Related or Contributory)
  • Income Support (IS) or Employment Support Allowance (ESA) where the applicable amount includes a disability premium because of incapacity for work
  • Attendance Allowance (AA)
  • The Standard or Enhanced Daily Living Rate of Personal Independence Payment (PIP)
  • The Highest or Middle Rate Care Component of Disability Living Allowance (DLA)
  • Severe disablement allowance
  • An increase in the rate of disablement pension for constant attendance
  • A disability working allowance
  • The disability element of Working Tax Credit
  • Constant attendance allowance payable under the Industrial Injuries or War pensions Schemes
  • Unemployability allowance payable under the Industrial Injuries or War pensions Scheme

If you think that you may qualify for a reduction, complete a general enquiry form (link) and provide as much detail as possible. 

Once we have been notified there is a qualifying person in the household, we will send you an application form by post. This form must be returned to us, not sent to your GP or other medical professional. Please include evidence of the welfare benefits the applicant is in receipt of or eligible for with the returned application form. 

If you no longer qualify for discount

You must tell us within 21 days if you believe that you are no longer entitled to the discount or exemption. If we find out later that you were not entitled to all or part of the reduction that you were awarded, we will send you a revised backdated Council Tax bill.