Who does not need to pay Council Tax
There are various circumstances where you may not have to pay Council Tax or you may be eligible for a discount or exemption.
Please visit our Council Tax discounts and exemptions page for further information.
Properties in which the occupants are not liable for Council Tax are:
- accommodation for UK armed forces which is owned by the Secretary of State for Defence, e.g. barracks and married quarters
- hostels for the homeless or night shelters
- residential care homes
- dwellings inhabited by a religious community whose principal occupation consists of prayer, contemplation, education, the relief of suffering, or any combination of these
- houses in multiple occupation (HMO)
- dwellings occupied by resident staff
- dwellings occupied by ministers of religion who perform the duties of their office from this residence
- dwellings provided to an asylum seeker under Section 95 Immigration and Asylum Act 1999