Single person discount

Information and guidance about claiming a single person discount.

Your Council Tax bill will assume that there are two or more adults (aged 18 years or over) living in your home, unless you tell us differently.

If you are the only adult in your home (aged 18 years or over), we can reduce your bill by 25%.

There are certain circumstances where a 25% discount may still be available, for example, where the other adult living in the property are:

  • full-time students or apprentices
  • suffering from a severe mental impairment
  • 18/19 years old and recently left education or you are still in receipt of child benefit for them

If you think that you may qualify for a reduction, complete the Council Tax general enquiry form and provide as much detail as possible.

Please note, when completing the online form we will require all of the necessary information and supporting documents e.g. student certificate.

If you no longer qualify for single person discount

If you are no longer the only adult in the property because someone has moved in with you, or someone in your household has reached the age of 18, you are no longer entitled to the single person discount. You must tell us within 21 days if you believe that you are no longer entitled to the discount.

If we find out later that you were not entitled to all or part of the reduction that you were awarded, we will send you a revised backdated Council Tax bill.