The Council declared a Climate Emergency in July 2019 and committed to being carbon neutral by 2030. The full Declaration, the first edition of the Climate Emergency Action Plan, which sets out the council’s ambition and the updated Actions are in the documents area below.
The Council’s key objectives are to:
- To use resources sustainably so as not to add to the burden of climate change emissions in Blackburn with Darwen or elsewhere;
- To align policy to climate change mitigation and adaptation objectives to create sustainable places where people want to live, work and visit and capture the benefits to health and the economy from the move to a climate friendly borough;
- To use energy more efficiently and generate more locally from renewable sources; cut waste and improve recycling;
- To make and facilitate the transition to cleaner, greener fuels and more active travel; and
- To store carbon naturally by increasing tree cover, protecting soils and enhancing natural habitats
To provide the basis for change we must aim for wider understanding of the climate emergency and stronger partnerships and networks.
The full Declaration and Climate Emergency Action Plan are in the documents area below.
Blackburn with Darwen’s greenhouse gas report
In 2018 the Council signed up to the Government’s emissions reduction pledge to reduce emissions from the public sector by at least 30% by 2020/21. The Council’s objective is 40% against its 2009/10 baseline.
The greenhouse gas emissions arising from the Council’s activities are reported annually.
View the latest greenhouse gas report from the documents area below.
Climate change adaptation
The Council’s Climate change adaptation strategy and action plan sets out the priority risks associated with climate change and the existing and proposed adaptation measures that should be implemented to ensure that the Council’s services continue to operate in a changing climate.
Saving energy and water
Information for householders on saving energy and water can be found at:
- Energy Saving Trust – tips and myth busting for energy in the home
- Waterwise – tips on saving water at home.
Support and advice for businesses wanting to reduce their environmental impacts is available from: