Filthy and verminous premises

The Council can get involved when a home has been allowed to get to a state that it could endanger the health of the occupier or cause problems for neighbours.

The Council usually gets involved where there is a significant amount of rotting food, human or animal faeces in the house. This may be attracting vermin, such as rats, mice or fleas.

The Council does not deal with premises which are merely unsightly, untidy or in a bad state of repair.

In these cases the property residents/owners may have underlying mental health problems, drug or alcohol problems, extreme old age, or physical disability. In these circumstances we will try to address these underlying issues. This may involve various teams within the Council or other partner organisations.

Where appropriate, the Council may do work to rectify the problem and we will usually recover our costs.

Please contact us to report a property by emailing