Drinking water supply quality

Private water supplies are those not provided by United Utilities via the ‘mains’ water supply - they are regulated by the Council under the ‘Private Water Supplies (England) Regulations 2016’ as amended.

We are required to risk assess the supplies and test the water to ensure that they are safe to drink.

Commonly they are natural spring, borehole and shallow well supplies. If your home or business premises (includes rented dwellings) has a private water supply intended for drinking, cooking, food preparation or other domestic purposes (e.g. toilet flushing), you should be registered with the Council. If you install a new private water supply in our area, you must register it with us.

Please contact us to find out more about the water risk assessment process.