Regulator's code

Standards of service to businesses.

Our aims:

We aim to promote a fair, healthy and safe trading environment by providing businesses in Blackburn with Darwen, with advice on regulatory matters in relation to:

  • Trading Standards
  • Environmental Health
  • Licensing
  • Housing Standards

Further aims – we will:

  • provide Blackburn with Darwen businesses with advice on how to comply with applicable legislation
  • enter into home authority agreements or primary authority agreements where necessary and as agreed with individual businesses
  • not provide advice to non-Blackburn with Darwen businesses and will refer such callers to their own local authority
  • provide training on request but we may make a charge for this
  • inspect businesses while having regard to national risk rating schemes
  • target those businesses which generate unacceptable levels of complaints

We will:

  • advise Blackburn with Darwen businesses on their legal rights and responsibilities
  • distinguish between best practice advice and legal requirements
  • acknowledge all requests for business advice within five days of receipt
  • refer non-Blackburn with Darwen businesses to the appropriate authority
  • identify other sources of information if an issue falls outside our remit
  • regularly consult with businesses to improve the service we provide
  • use information provided to identify trader malpractice and seek improvements in the law
  • assist other authorities regarding Blackburn with Darwen businesses
  • treat all information in accordance with the Data Protection Act and our own legislative restrictions on sharing of confidential material
  • publish our fees in the fees and charges booklet

We ask you:

  • to provide all the relevant information to us and participate in open discussion
  • to listen to our advice and reasons for the recommended course of action
  • to accept that we may not always be able to provide advice but will endeavour to identify other sources of advice or information where possible

You can:

  • contact us by email, telephone, fax or access our website
  • ask for an explanation for our actions and advice

If you remain dissatisfied with our service you can raise the issue with one of our senior officers or the service manager, public protection and environmental health, and/or use our complaints procedure if appropriate.

If you believe that you have received health and safety advice from one of our officers that is incorrect or disproportionate, or a health and safety visit that was not justified, you can contact the independent regulatory challenge panel who can look into your complaint.

Please note: before an issue can be raised with the panel, efforts should have first been made to resolve the matter with the relevant officer and their manager.

Further information on the panel and its terms of reference can be found on the HSE website.