For 16-25 year olds
Brook is commissioned by the public health team to provide sexual health and wellbeing services for our young adults
• Emergency Contraception
• Pregnancy Testing
• Screening for infections
• Termination referrals
During COVID they may not be able to provide some services so please contact them.
You can also access a wide range of contraception through your GP surgery (via telephone at this time) or pharmacy. Most pharmacies in Blackburn and Darwen also offer free emergency contraception for 13 to 25 year olds.
For people over 25 including HIV / AIDS advice and support
Contraception and sexual health service is delivered by Lancashire and South Cumbria NHS Foundation Trust.
Currently they will provide an initial telephone assessment for you with a clinician to assess your requirement. Face to face contacts, clinical procedures and examinations will be avoided wherever possible. You will be offered safe alternatives, which may involve some or all of the following:
- Home testing kits for sexually transmitted infections (STI) testing
- Histories and assessments to be done by telephone in advance of face to face appointment
- Collection of contraceptive pills or STI treatments after telephone consultation from reception/ pharmacy
- Posting of FP10 for contraceptive pills or STI treatments
- Deferral of vaccines
- Deferral of IUD/IUS or implant change and temporary cover with oral contraception
- Using self-taken swabs as an alternative to clinical examination