Register your event

A step by step guide to registering your event and how your application is processed

The types of events that this guidance covers are things like:

•    Marches, parades, motorcades  
•    Fun runs, road races, cycle races  
•    Charity walks  
•    Charity stunts  
•    Festivals, music or otherwise  
•    Concerts  
•    Agricultural and rural shows and events  
•    Rallies, fetes and street parties  
•    Motor sports

When you decide to organise an event, you need to complete an event registration form.

For small events, you need to do this at least 6 weeks before your event. For large events, you should try to do this 9 to 12 months in advance.

Your responsibilities as event organiser

You are responsible for planning, managing and monitoring your event. You need to make sure that volunteers and the visiting public are not exposed to health and safety risks.

Your specific areas of responsibility are:

Public Liability Insurance

You need to take out Public Liability Insurance. This should be a minimum value of at least £5 million to cover your event.

Risk Assessment

You need to produce a Risk Assessment to identify any hazards. It also needs to show the control measures you have in place to reduce or eliminate those hazards. There is more advice on completing risk assessments on our Risk Assessments page.

Traffic Management

You need to make sure you have adequate signage for any road closures or diversions before and during your event. You might need qualified traffic management personnel to staff junctions and closure points. All traffic management must be delivered by a qualified company and agreed with us. You are responsible for paying any traffic management costs. This includes costs for appropriate signage and advance notice warnings where required.


You need to consider marshals to:

  • provide support
  • ensure the safety of anyone attending your event

The size of your event will determine how many you need, and if you need professional stewards.

Welfare of Participants

You must think about the welfare of anyone attending, including things like:

  • provision of toilets
  • first aid

Car Parking

You must think about the provision of car parks, to avoid further congestion on the roads.

Protests and marches

If you are planning a protest or march, you must also be aware of the provisions of the Public Order Act. You must give 6 clear days advance notice, in writing, of the date, time and venue or route of the procession. You must give this information both to us, and to the Police. If you do not give us this information, you may be committing a criminal offence.

If you use a certain location for assembly or dispersal, you might also need permission from us. If you do, you need to get this well in advance of your event.

Event Safety Management Plan

You need to:

  • prepare an Event Safety Management Plan suitable for the size of your event
  • submit your Event Safety Management Plan for assessment and consideration by the Event Safety Advisory Group (ESAG)
  • submit any licence and any road closure applications in enough time for them to be processed

If you don't know how to prepare a plan, we have an Event Safety Management Plan template that you can follow. 

What happens after I have submitted my event?

After you have submitted your event notification form and supporting documents:

  • We will share your application with members of the Event Safety Advisory Group (ESAG) who will review your event and provide their comments
  • We will contact you with advice on health, safety and welfare at your event so that you can make adjustments where necessary to your paperwork
  • As an event organiser you may be required to attend a meeting with the ESAG

Register an event

Additional documentation

As part of your event registration, we will ask you provide copies of your:

  • Event management plan
  • Risk assessment
  • Public liability insurance
  • Site plan

If you can't provide these at the time you apply, you can upload them at a later date. To do this, you need to:

  • login to the customer portal
  • access your service request
  • upload your documents in the documents section
  • add a note in the notes section to tell us what you have uploaded. 

Temporary Event Notice

If you want to:

  • sell alcohol
  • serve alcohol to members of a private club
  • provide entertainment, such as music, dancing or indoor sporting events
  • serve hot food or drink between 11pm and 5am

you need to have a Temporary Event Notice. You must complete this at least 10 working days prior to the event, which includes the day of submission, the day of the event itself and any bank holidays.

Apply for a temporary event notice