Local community care grant
This scheme will assist the most vulnerable of the borough in maintaining their independence within the community or when they are returning to the community. The scheme will not provide assistance through the award of money but will purchase and deliver household items to successful applicants.
What we can provide
Items that will be considered under the local community care grants scheme are:
- beds and mattresses
- electric or table-top cooker
- other second hand household furniture/white goods through provision of a voucher to a charitable/second hand organisation
No cash payments will be made under any circumstances.
To be awarded a grant you must be able to meet all of the below criteria:
- be aged 16+
- have a local connection to Blackburn or Darwen and must be living within the boundaries of Blackburn with Darwen
- be able to demonstrate that you are without immediate resources to meet the basic need yourself
- be able to demonstrate that the items applied for are both urgent and necessary
- not had a previous Local Community Care Grant award within the last 3 years.
Decisions on submitted applications are usually made within 10 working days of receiving your application. To help speed up this process, please make sure that you complete the form fully.
If you wish to appeal the decision reached on your local community care grant application, please complete the appeal form and provide any additional information to support your request if appropriate by email to email@example.com.
All requests will be considered by a decision maker, who is senior to the original decision maker, who was not involved in the original decision.
A decision will be made within 21 days - you will be notified by letter of the outcome of this.