We are working towards reducing the number of empty properties throughout the borough.
We are also providing help and assistance to owners who are genuinely making efforts to bring these properties back into use.
For owners of empty properties the benefits of bringing the property back into use are:
- increased value of the property
- rental income (if rented out)
- release of capital (if sold)
- a heated, ventilated property is less likely to deteriorate.
We may take the following action, if the property remains empty:
- a notice can be served to ensure the owner brings the property up to standard
- apply for an empty dwelling management order
- enforced sale of property
- demolition order
- compulsory purchase order.
If you own a property that is currently empty, we can provide you with impartial advice on:
Email emptyProperties@blackburn.gov.uk or call 01254 585213