The public library offers literacy support to children aged 0 - 15 years.
Librarians work with all age groups both in local libraries and in school.
At the library, membership is free and we provide:
- books to borrow
- computers to use
- help with homework research
- other occasional sessions and school holiday activities, out-of-school hours, for all age groups. See libraries news and information for dates each month
- chatterbooks club for keen readers 8-11 yrs old, at Darwen Library
- reading games
- support for schools
- Bookstart packs
Bookstart is a national government funded scheme co-ordinated by the independent charity, Booktrust. This initiative gifts free books to babies and there are two packs:
- The Bookstart Baby pack is usually given out by health visitors and nursery nurses, when the babies attend their 7 – 10 month development check.
- The Bookstart Treasure packs are distributed through all local nurseries – state, private, voluntary and school based (nursery units).
A limited number of packs are available with dual language books on request, as well as Booktouch packs for children with a visual impairment, Bookshine packs for children with a hearing impairment, and Bookstart Star packs for children with a disability that affects the development of fine motor skills.
If you have not received your pack, you may collect one from your local library.