Sale of fireworks

There are restrictions on the types of fireworks that you may sell and to whom you may sell them.

Failure to meet these requirements may make you liable to prosecution.

This information is not an authoritative document on the law and is intended only for guidance. If you require further advice, please contact us.

Age of purchase

It is illegal to sell fireworks to anybody under the age of 18. Note that caps, cracker snaps, novelty matches, party poppers, serpents and throwdowns must not be sold to anybody under the age of 16.

More information and advice on age verification checks.

Display of notice

  • You must display a notice in a prominent position.
  • The notice must measure at least 420mm by 297mm (A3 standard paper size)
  • The notice's lettering must be at least 16mm high.
  • The notice must state that: 'It is illegal to sell category F2 or F3 fireworks to anyone under the age of eighteen' and 'It is illegal for anyone under the age of eighteen to possess Category F2 or F3 fireworks in a public place.'

Information to be provided to the Council

If, in a single transaction, you sell a quantity of fireworks such that the total net explosive content of the fireworks exceeds 50kgs, you must keep a record of the following information which can be given to the Council if requested

  • the name and address of the person to whom you sold the fireworks;

  • the date that you sold them;

  • the name and address of the person from whom you bought the fireworks;

  • the date that you bought them; and

  • the total amount of explosives contained in the fireworks that you sold.

You must keep this information for at least 3 years.

In addition, if you sell more than 50kg net mass of fireworks to any person, the purchaser must show you a valid registration or licence certificate to prove that they can legally store the fireworks.

The following fireworks must not be sold to the general public:

  • Bangers

  • Air Bombs

  • Mini-rockets

  • Fireworks with erratic flight (e.g. ground spinners, jumping crackers, squibs)

  • Aerial shells, aerial maroons, aerial wheels, shell-in-mortar and maroons-in-mortar

  • Fireworks intended for professional use, marked "This device must not be sold to, or used by, a member of the general public."

  • Shot tubes that produce a loud noise as its main effect and/or has an inside diameter greater than 30mm

  • Category 3 fireworks (those marked 'Display Fireworks') that produce a sound exceeding 120 decibels

Other measures

  • As of July 5, 2017, all fireworks sold to the general public must be labelled with a CE mark and have instructions for use in English. It is now illegal to sell/supply any old BS7114/BSEN15947 marked stock, although you may continue to store them

  • Retail boxes of fireworks must not be broken down for sale

Suppliers licence

If you wish to sell adult fireworks at any time of the year you will need to have a suppliers licence to do so. This licence is in addition to the registration or licence required for the storage of fireworks.

The cost of the suppliers licence is set at £500.

Please contact us for an application form.

Exceptions to this rule are:

  • On the first day of the Chinese New Year and the 3 days immediately preceding it;

  • On the day of Diwali and the 3 days immediately preceding it;

  • During the period beginning on the 15th October and ending on the 10th November; or

  • During the period beginning on the 26th December and ending on the 31st December