Premises licenses and club premises

Premises licences

You need to apply for a premises licence if you intend to sell alcohol or provide ‘licensable activities’ from a particular venue.

Licensable activities include:

  • selling alcohol
  • serving hot food and drinks between 11pm and 5am

You’ll also need a licence if you provide the following types of entertainment:

  • theatrical performance
  • showing a film
  • indoor sporting event
  • boxing or wrestling (indoor or outdoor)
  • live music
  • recorded music
  • dance
  • facilities for making music
  • dancing facilities

You still need a licence even if the activities are for charity.

More information regarding premises licences is available in the guidance document in the documents section below.

Changes to premises licences

Various changes to premises licences can be made online.

Apply for or change premises licence

A guidance document is available in the documents section below.

Club premises

You may need to apply for a club premises certificate if you’re a social, sporting or political members club (like a working men’s club or British Legion).

You need a certificate to:

  • sell or supply alcohol to members or guests
  • provide regulated entertainment, like musical performances or film screenings to members or guests

To qualify for a certificate, your club must make sure that:

  • it has premises that are occupied and used regularly for club purposes
  • alcohol and entertainment is only provided to members and their guests
  • only someone 18 or older who is nominated by the club can serve alcohol or buy it for the club
  • there is no arrangement for anyone to benefit financially from buying or selling alcohol
  • new members wait two days from their application before getting membership privileges
  • it is established and conducted in good faith
  • it has at least 25 members

Apply online

Changes to club premises

Please follow the link below to make changes to your club premises certificate. The following changes can be made online.

  • Application for a variation to a club premises certificate
  • Application for a minor variation to a premises or club licence
  • Notification of change of details or club rules

Apply to change club premises