Apply for a new Dual Driver’s Licence

What to do if you want a new Dual Driver's Licence

All applicants for new drivers licences must create a personal account on the Council’s Digital Customer Portal if they don’t already have one and you must use this to submit your applications. Any requests for DBS registrations or new driver applications submitted using another person’s Blackburn with Darwen account will not be processed.

Before we can consider application for a new driver's licence you must apply for an enhanced DBS through the council’s nominated provider, register with the DBS update service and maintain that registration throughout the licenced period. Once you have requested a DBS registration you will be provided with a link to book onto driver training.

Request a DBS registration

If you have any criminal or motoring convictions, or have been refused or revoked a licence previously, your application may be referred to the General Licensing Sub-Committee for a decision.

You should refer to the Council’s convictions policy which provides guidelines on whether your application would be considered favourably.   

You must also provide proof that you:

  • have the right to work in the UK. More information on the right to work in the UK.
  • are registered with HMRC if you have held a drivers licence issued by this or any other Licensing Authority in the last 12 months. Information about HMRC requirements for new drivers.
  • have held a driving licence for at least 12 months prior to your application for a licence which reflects your current name and address. If you have an EC/EEA driver licence, you must exchange it for a British licence.
  • have completed the Council’s driver training and passed the knowledge test
  • have passed the practical driving test
  • meet the group 2 standard of medical fitness
  • have an offer of work from a Blackburn with Darwen Private Hire Operator or Hackney Carriage proprietor
  • have provided a certificate of good conduct if you have been living in the UK less than five years before the date of the application. The certificate must be provided from the Embassy or High Commission from the countries where you have been resident, translated into English and be less than 3 months old at the time of the application.
  • pay the fee
  • complete the online application form and upload evidence of all of the above

We will only consider your application once you have submitted all of the above supporting evidence and you have uploaded a recent passport style photograph.

Apply for a dual drivers licence