Apply for a new Hackney Carriage or Private Hire Vehicle Driver’s Licence

How to apply for a new hackney carriage or private hire driver's licence. These licences are also known as a dual drivers licence.

To apply for a new driver licence, you must create a personal account on our Digital Customer Portal if you don’t already have one. You must use this to submit your applications. Any new driver applications submitted using another person’s Blackburn with Darwen account will not be processed.

Before we can consider an application for a new driver's licence you must apply for an enhanced DBS, register with the DBS update service and maintain that registration throughout the licenced period. 

If you already have a fully enhanced DBS that is registered on the update service from an application for a taxi driver licence with another Council, please email the details to the Licensing team, as we may be able to accept that one.

Apply for a DBS

If you have any criminal or motoring convictions, or have been refused a licence previously or had a licence revoked previously, your application may be referred to the General Licensing Sub-Committee for a decision.

You should refer to the Council’s convictions policy which provides guidelines on when your application would be considered favourably.   

You must also provide proof that you:

  • have a recognised qualification in English, or have passed a free skills assessment provided by Blackburn Adult Learning Service. Please email to make an appointment for an English proficiency assessment. You must tell them that it is for a taxi driver licence application.
  • have the right to work in the UK. More information on the right to work in the UK.
  • are registered with HMRC if you have held a drivers licence issued by this or any other Licensing Authority in the last 12 months. Information about HMRC requirements for new drivers.
  • have held a driving licence for at least 12 months prior to your application for a licence which reflects your current name and address. If you have an EC/EEA driver licence, you must exchange it for a British licence.
  • have completed the Council’s driver training and passed the knowledge test
  • have successfully completed the e-learning Safeguarding course provided by the Blue Lamp Trust 
  • have passed the practical driving test
  • meet the group 2 standard of medical fitness
  • have an offer of work from a Blackburn with Darwen Private Hire Operator or Hackney Carriage proprietor
  • have provided a certificate of good conduct if you have lived overseas for 6 or more continuous months within the last 5 years. The certificate must be provided from the Embassy or High Commission from the countries where you have been resident, translated into English and be less than 3 months old at the time of the application.
  • pay the fee
  • complete the online application form and upload evidence of all of the above

We will only consider your application once you have submitted all of the above supporting evidence and you have uploaded a recent passport style photograph.

Apply for a dual drivers licence