Planning permission: do you need it?

The Council’s guide for extending a terraced house is jargon-free, visual information about the types of house extensions or alterations that can go ahead without planning permission (known as permitted development), or that are generally considered to be acceptable where planning permission is required.

You can also get planning advice and information on whether you need planning permission in several ways:

  • general advice to members of the public about the planning process without the need to pay a fee (such as how to submit a planning application and what planning policies would apply to a proposal). You can also find this information on the government’s planning website, Planning Portal
  • By contacting the duty planning officer between 13:00 - 16:00 on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays at Blackburn Town Hall or on the phone.
  • Via the pre-application advisory service.