Filming and photography: access and permission

Parking, filming and commercial photography in parks, filming in streets, news filming in schools or other public buildings, filming or performing in cemeteries and burial grounds

There are exceptions to some of the information below for news filming/photography.


Parking dispensations are available to facilitate unloading equipment (i.e. filming equipment). They allow you to park on a single yellow line only. A minimum of 24 hours notice is required. Pay bays can be booked where longer term parking is required. 3 working days’ notice is required.

If you get a parking ticket or your vehicle is removed, please do not ask us to intervene. However, if you feel that you have received a penalty incorrectly, you should appeal (information is given about this in all penalty notices).

Parking outside the town hall

This can be arranged, sometimes at short notice, but depends on availability of staff and whether or not there are any events scheduled. Contact the media team on for details of how to arrange access.

Filming and commercial photography in parks etc. (including Witton Park)

Please contact the media team. As a rule, at least 24 hours notice is required. In some cases, more notice will be essential.

Filming in streets

In all cases, you are strongly advised to have public liability insurance and in some circumstances you may be asked for evidence of this.

You should not obstruct pedestrians or anyone else using the pavements/roads. If you are asked to move on by a Council officer or the police, you must do so.

Please avoid filming at pedestrian crossings or junctions as it can either obscure views or create a distraction for drivers.

News filming in schools or other public buildings

Please contact the media team with the details of your request. Do not contact the organisation directly.

Ideally, we need your request by lunchtime the day before you want to film so that we have time to speak to the head teacher/person in charge. However, we obviously appreciate that this is not always possible.

Each request is decided case-by-case.

While we do our best, please be aware that we have to refuse the majority of requests to film in schools for practical or other reasons.

Filming or performing in cemeteries and burial grounds

If the request is from a news outlet, contact the media team on with details of your request.

Depending on the nature of the request, there may be forms to complete and a charge may be payable.

You will also be asked to supply copies of your public liability and risk assessment documents.

Requests are dealt with case-by-case.

To allow your request to be processed you will need to supply the information below:

  • the nature of the filming/photography/ performance (e.g. subject matter, for which channel/media)
  • the likely date and times for filming/performing
  • size of film crew (and likely audience size, if performance request)
  • equipment to be used
  • vehicle access requirements