Free early education and special educational needs

Some children have special educational needs in relation to learning, physical disabilities or medical needs, which mean they may need additional support. For most children their provider will meet their needs as most early years providers make reasonable adjustments for children with additional needs.

Early years providers are also able to access central support services who can provide advice and assistance, for example, the educational psychology team or SEND Support Service.

A small number of children may require more specialist support. If your child has special educational needs and/or disabilities and requires additional support to enable them to access their early learning please let your preferred provider know when you apply for a free early education place. You can also contact SENDIASS (Special Educational Needs & Disability Information Advice Support Service) for confidential information, advice and support on (01254) 583957.

The service offers impartial information, guidance and support to parents of children who have special educational needs and/or disabilities. The service aims to provide pupils, young adults, parents and carers, schools and other professionals with the opportunity of working together to meet the special educational needs and/or disabilities of the individual pupil.

Blackburn with Darwen‘s Local Offer is an online resource that details services, support and guidance available to children and young people with special educational needs and disabilities (SEND) aged 0 – 25 and their families.

Find out more

Disability links

Disability Links provides information about local services that are available to families of children from birth to 25 years with additional needs and/or disabilities, who live in Blackburn with Darwen.

Contact the disability links Co-ordinator on (01254) 666711 for more information.

For further assistance and advice contact the local authority on (01254) 666752. You can ask to speak to the SEND Support Service or the special educational needs and/or disability (SEND) team or the educational psychology team.​​​