Dead animal disposal

The Council will only dispose of a dead animal if it is on the public highway or on council land - if this is the case please contact us.

If you wish to report a dead animal on the highway we will need to know:

  • the exact location
  • the type of animal it is or approximate size
  • if it is causing an obstruction to traffic or pedestrians.

When necessary, we can also arrange for the appropriate disposal of pets that have died.

To arrange collection, please contact us.

Landowners are responsible for disposing of dead animals found on private land - for guidance please get in contact with us.

Dead birds

There are special rules about reporting groups of dead birds, please see the DEFRA website for further information.