Household waste recycling centres

Please note, as of 01/04/2021 you no longer need to book a slot to visit the recycling centres (tips).


There are recycling centres (tips) in both Blackburn and Darwen.

George Street West, Blackburn

Spring Vale Road, Darwen

Before you visit

Please separate out your rubbish for recycling before you visit the site. Recycling saves money on burying recyclable items and helps protect our environment.

Social distancing measures are in place at the sites and residents should not visit the sites if they have tested positive for Covid-19 within the past 10 days or are shielding.

Residents only use

Both recycling sites are to be used for household waste only, trade waste is not accepted (waste from businesses or shops are not permitted and will be turned away)’. Please refer to the access policy for recycling centres for further information.

Proof that you live in the borough will need to be shown to the site staff before you are allowed to dispose of waste.

Proof of residency includes one of the following:

  • your current Council tax bill
  • your current utility, mortgage, bank or credit card statement.

Permit to dispose of construction and DIY inert waste

From 1 February 2019, a resident’s permit will be required to dispose of construction and DIY inert waste. A permit can be applied for from 3 January 2019.

Find out more about the disposal of construction and DIY inert waste

Permit to use a van or trailer

If you use a van or trailer to take rubbish/recyclables to the sites, you will need a permit to enter.

Find out more about permits and how to apply